Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Visting Artist Waafa Bilal

After viewing some of his work and seeing him in person today for the first time, I am really surprised that RPI has him as a artist in residency. His work is very controversial and frankly I'm surprised to see him at RPI considering the stir he could potentially create. However in my own opinion I think it's great for the arts department to have him here. Today Waafa and a group of students (including myself) were part of a phone conference with 4 artists in Iraq. It had me thinking about his work and the artists in Iraq. Their artwork must vary so much from that of an American's in concept because of the significant differences in day to day life. I also wonder if their inspiration is more about a positive future in Iraq or if it's about the negative present.

I find it kind of amazing that in such a war torn place there are artists that are able to support themselves. I just imagine life over there to be much more practical and focused. I value art and music so much in my life and I cannot imagine how I'd be different emotionally without it. Then to think about these people in Iraq who probably don't have much music or artwork (expression of their feelings) and how that must be so bounding. I could be wrong though, I'm not really sure. These are all just ideas based on what I know as a young American girl.

-Emelie

1 comment:

breathingplaet said...

thanks for the thoughts, emelie.
its possible that Waafa will be visiting our class on thursday.