Thursday, February 28, 2008

Myspace Reading

I forgot to post a response on this reading despite talking about it in class, so here's a few of my thoughts.

The article was presented really well and I liked the way she opened and concluded because it felt much more like a lecture (which I think it was taken from). She brought up a ton of great points about Myspace like the pro's and con's. As always, people focus on the con's the most like the dangers of Myspace and how children are meeting rapists and whatnot. Yes, that's bad, of course. Where are the parents? I was raised not to trust people on the internet, though I realize not all kids will listen. There are a lot of pro's to having Myspace, especially for musicians or for finding new music. It can be inspiration to artwork. It can be a way to keep up with old friends especially if they have moved away. It's not the only social networking site out there, so it's not like you can only point your finger at Myspace.

From my experience, Myspace is kind of over. I check it to maintain my friend requests or messages and even to stay in contact with my brother (he checks myspace but not his email). To me Myspace is an inside joke with most people my age. Mention it and most people will roll their eyes. I still use the music aspect of it though. It's the most reliable way to find a band and preview a few of their songs without popups or spam. I can look at a few of their pictures and maybe see what their style is (it helps in identifying what kind of band it is...).

Kids just want that space to get away from parents. It's their own world that most parents don't know enough about to interact. As long as they know enough to stay away from the bad stuff, they'll be fine.

And that's my two cents.

No comments: